The implementation of the Katschberger Heustadl- und Adventweg project was funded from 2016 to 2018 as part of the Austrian Rural Development Program - project type 19.3.1. The funding amount of € 224,047.07 is made up of funds from the federal, state and European Union.
Hiking at the Katschberger Advent Trail at 1.750 m
These special times need special and safe experiences. The Katschberger Adventweg as winter hiking trail is definitely one of them. It doesn't take much - especially no kitsch and commerce. Enjoy the unique, quiet atmosphere and let yourself be charmed by the untouched scenery of the nature reserve Gontal at Katschberg at over 1.750 m.
Immerse yourself in the contemplative time and walk along the romantically illuminated winter hiking trail with atmospheric stations such as the forest of lights, the Christmas maze, the living nativity scene with sheep and ponies as well as the souvenir and handicraft hut with all sorts of handmade and self-carved items as well as the rustic tea stations along the way.
Opening Times of the Katschberger Adventweg
The Advent Trail is open from November 24, 2021 to December 25, 2021, every Wednesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday, from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. (except December 24, 2021)
Entry & Prices
- Buy a new thermo cup INCLUDING admission & free tea along the stations on the Advent Trail: € 13
- Entry with cups already purchased from previous years INCLUDING entry & free tea on the Advent Trail: € 10
- Admission without thermo cup & without free tea along the stations on the Advent Trail: € 8 (from 12 years)
- KIWANIS donation thermo cup for a good cause INCLUDING entrance fee & free tea: € 20, -
Christmas how it used to be...
High up in the mountains, surrounded by untouched nature, a special kind of Advent magic awaits you - the hike to the Katschberger Adventweg! Let yourself be carried away to a Christmas like it used to be with a winter Advent hike at Katschberg or a horse-drawn sleigh ride to the Pritzhütte.
The countless lanterns along the way do their part and create a feeling of pleasant warmth with the soft light in the snow. Tea stations provide internal warmth.
This year's Advent hike leads from Oberkatschberg over the Gontal-trail towards Pritzhütte (2.5 km) past atmospheric stations such as the forest of lights or the Christmas maze and the first tea stations. The romantically illuminated winter hiking trail continues past the Pritzhütte along the original Advent trail (1.5km) with a living nativity scene and the souvenir and handicraft hut. Walk the silent and illuminated trail along hay barns and a hut with snacks to eat and drink.
Warming tea stations at the Katschberg Advent trail
Free tea stations along the hiking trail provide internal warmth.
The entrance of the Katschberg Advent trail consists of the purchase of a thermo cup so that steaming tea can be poured into your own personal cup at the rustic wood-burning stoves. (Thermo cup: € 13.00).
The high-quality thermo cups are available at the beginning of the Katschberger Adventweg and in the souvenir & handicrafts hut as well as in the Katschberg tourist office and in the hotels on Katschberg.
With the horse-drawn sleigh to the Advent experience
A romantic horse-drawn sleigh ride over the Gontalweg is a special experience at the Katschberger Adventweg. Horse-drawn sleighs run regularly from the Alpengasthof Bacher to the Pritzhütte - the rest of the Advent path itself is only accessible on foot.
Covid-19 Rules & Tips for a unique Advent experience.
The Katschberger Adventweg is a real winter hike this year... This is what makes it so special. In order to make this hike a contemplative Advent experience, we would like to give some tips on the way.
- For entrance, the "3G Rule" or "2G Rule" applies - so in order to be able to enter the Advent trail, you have to be vaccinated, recovered or tested. If the 2G Rule applies (according to the current Government regulations), only tested (not vaccinated or not recovered) have no entrance.
- Also, registration is mandatory.
- You are walking a few kilometers in the wonderfully snow-covered Gontal at over 1,750m. We therefore recommend good shoes, warm clothing and possibly a headlamp or torch.
- This year there are not so many opportunities to warm up in the huts. Therefore, the entire hike from Oberkatschberg to the end of the Katschberger Adventweg could be too strenuous for small children or the older generation. Because of that we recommend the path to the Pritzhütte for the little ones with an exciting forest of lights, a Christmas maze and the first tea stations. In addition, strollers are unsuitable for the hike.
- The winter hike is also very suitable for dogs. However, in consideration to other visitors and the horses, it is important to take the leash requirement seriously.
- We ask for your own responsibility. We ask for the necessary distance of 1m, especially outside of our own group of visitors.
- In the souvenir & handicraft hut, mouth and nose protection is mandatory according to the Federal Government's Ordinance (Shops & Trade). There is no mask requirement on the Advent Trail, which this year will only be an illuminated hiking trail and in the outdoor area.
- Also in the horse-drawn carriages, if the distance of 1m to other groups of visitors cannot be maintained, mouth and nose protection must be worn.